VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus
Typically associated with legislative assemblies, collegial bodies and political parties, a caucus is a group of people united to promote an agreed-upon cause. Established in 2016, the VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus is a constituent academic organization of VCU Alumni. The caucus advances the mission of the university by connecting, serving and celebrating VCU political science alumni all over the world. Membership in our organization is automatically conferred upon all VCU alumni who graduate with a degree in political science. There are no required applications or fees to be a member of the VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus.
With a rich history and more than 2,000 graduates, the Department of Political Science is one of the oldest and most prestigious academic programs at VCU. We invite you to join us, as we work to build an alumni network worthy of this proud heritage.
VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus
c/o VCU Alumni
111 N. Fourth Street
Richmond, VA 23219-2201
The VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus has one of the largest social media followings of any academic alumni organization at the university. These platforms offer a highly effective way to connect, serve and celebrate our political science graduates. We invite you to engage with us through our social media channels and learn firsthand how your fellow alumni are making an impact.
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Connect on LinkedIn
- Join our LinkedIn Group
- Follow us on Twitter
Activities organized by the VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus will be posted here, on our social media channels, the VCU Alumni calendar and the VCU political science event calendar. Watch this space for more information and updates.
- Nov. 8, 2022: Election Night Watch Party
- December 2022: VCU Department of Political Science Graduation Ceremony, details to be announced
- April 27, 2023: Alumni Reunion Happy Hour, details to be announced
- May 2023: VCU Department of Political Science Graduation Ceremony, details to be announced
Programs and services
Through volunteerism, boosterism, service, advocacy and marketing, our organization supports the VCU Department of Political Science by:
- Fostering an esprit de corps among VCU political science alumni
- Hosting or sponsoring professional development events and opportunities
- Hosting or sponsoring social and community service events
- Facilitating mentorships for alumni and students
- Facilitating internships for alumni and students
- Promoting VCU Alumni volunteer and leadership opportunities
- Celebrating alumni achievements and career advancements
- Recognizing alumni service and contributions to the university
- Creating and sharing alumni profiles
- Promoting VCU political science students, faculty, programs, events, opportunities and honors
The VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus is managed by an executive committee, which is composed of the following officers:
- Steven Burkarth (B.A.’14/H&S), president
- Angela E. Kappus (B.A.’09/H&S), vice president
- Raymond L. Cady Jr. (B.A.’08/H&S), treasurer
- Vacant, secretary
There are multiple leadership opportunities available within the VCU Alumni Political Science Caucus. Please contact us to learn more about serving in one of the appointed positions listed below.
- Communications chair
- Community service chair
- Professional development chair
- Program chair
- Social chair
Other VCU political science alumni leaders
VCU offers its graduates a variety of ways to contribute to the university community. The following is a list of VCU political science alumni who have answered the call to serve our alma mater.
- Jessica A. Diaz (B.A.’18/H&S; M.T.’18/E), member, VCU Alumni Recent Graduate Council
- Nathan S. Dowdy (B.A.’19/H&S), member, VCU Alumni Recent Graduate Council
- Madeline H. Doane (B.A.’20/H&S; B.A.’20/WS), member, VCU Alumni Recent Graduate Council
- Aja Moore (B.A.’19/H&S), member, VCU Alumni Recent Graduate Council
- Keith T. Parker (B.A.’90/H&S; M.U.R.P.’93/GPA), member, VCU Board of Visitors
- Sara Yaseen (B.A.’17/H&S), member, VCU Alumni Recent Graduate Council
Support VCU political science
Listed below are just a few of the meaningful ways that you can get involved, give back and help to advance the VCU Department of Political Science. Please contact us to learn more about how you can make a difference.
- Make a donation
- List your VCU political science degree on your social media and online profiles.
- Share your success stories with us, so that we can celebrate your achievements.
- Follow alumni and department social media channels.
- Like and share alumni and department social media content.
- Serve as an alumni leader or as a member of a university committee.
- Attend a VCU Alumni or VCU political science department event.
- Volunteer to staff an alumni or department event.
- Mentor alumni and/or students.
- Create or facilitate internships for alumni and/or students.
- Share job prospects, career services and professional development opportunities.
- Participate in an alumni or department panel discussion, guest lecture, program or professional development event.
- Help plan, organize, host, or sponsor an alumni or department event at your home or business.
- Update your alumni profile and contact information so we can keep you informed of news, events, programs, services, achievements, milestones, scholarships, job announcements and networking opportunities.