Volunteer Leaders Summit
Join VCU Alumni for the first Volunteer Leaders Summit. The two-day summit offers opportunities for professional development, collaboration and fun with other VCU alumni leaders from around the country.
When: Jan. 18-19, 2019
Cost: $35 per attendee till Dec. 15. $50 after Dec. 15.
Who should come?
Any leader of a VCU Alumni constituent group or chapter is invited to the leadership summit. This includes regional chapters, academic chapters and shared interest groups. Space is limited so each chapter might be limited to one or two attendees.
Friday, Jan. 18
- 3-4:30 p.m.: Campus tours
- 5 p.m.: Leadership happy hour with VCU Alumni staff (Cannon and Draw Brewing Co., 1529 W. Main St.)
- 7 p.m.: Explore Richmond, and the great restaurants nearby, on your own or with fellow leaders.
Saturday, Jan. 19
- 8-8:30 a.m.: Breakfast
- 8:30-9:15 a.m.: Welcome/ELEVATE strategic plan
- 9:20-10:05 a.m.: Managing Your Group’s Communications
- 10:10-11 a.m.: Five Aspects of Group Dynamics
- 11:10 a.m.- noon: Breakout Sessions
- We Do More Than Watch Parties: Event Planning Ideas Around Personal and Professional Development
- Regional Best Practices
- Noon-1 p.m.: Lunch with Leaders
- 1:05-2: p.m.: Breakout Sessions
- Recruiting and Managing Volunteers
- Student and Young Alumni Programming
- 2:05-3 p.m.: Diversity and Inclusion
- 3:10-4 p.m.: Future of Chapters Town Hall
- 4-5 p.m.: Pregame Beer Tasting and Pinball at Champion Brewing Co.
- 5:30-6:30 p.m.: VCU Basketball Pregame Party at the Siegel Center
- 6:30 p.m.: Men’s basketball game - VCU vs. UMass
- We Do More Than Watch Parties: Event Planning Ideas Around Personal and Professional Development: ANOTHER watch party?! Great … a chance to sit around, watch the game, have a drink and talk about “that one time at VCU.” This session focuses on how to enhance and diversify the events you could provide to fellow alumni. Learn how to turn tried-and-true staple events of watch parties into something memorable — something that keeps them coming back for more!
- Student and Young Alumni Programming: Learn more about student-alumni engagement opportunities and ways that you, your chapter or group can get involved. Also learn more about programming specifically targeted toward recent graduates and ways that you can work to host similar programs/events for your group.
- Regional Best Practices: Take part in an interactive discussion about the evolution and growth of regional alumni programs and best practices when planning programs and activities for Rams in your area.
- Recruiting and Managing Volunteers: Learn about the new VolunteerVCU platform and how you can recruit and retain new chapter leaders, committee members and one-off volunteers to help with event management and execution.
What does my registration include?
Your registration includes drinks and appetizers at Friday’s happy hour and all activities and food during Saturday’s schedule. There will also be a few other surprises throughout the weekend.
Can I use chapter grant funding for this event?
No. Grant funding is for the purpose of chapter-based programming and cannot be used for the summit.
Will VCU Alumni pay for my travel and lodging if I’m coming from out of town?
A limited number of scholarships are available for the event. Scholarships cover lodging and could potentially cover other travel costs. Scholarships are accepted on a case-to-case basis. Leaders must submit a scholarship application by Dec. 1.
Contact Parks Smith, director of alumni volunteer programs and professional development, at email@example.com or (804) 828-2890.
301 W. Franklin St.
Use group code VCUAR to receive the special $159 per night rate (must book by Jan. 4, 2019).
Other hotel options
501 E. Broad St.
Three blocks away
Linden Row Inn
100 E. Franklin St.
Four blocks away
Holiday Inn Express
201 E. Cary St.
Five blocks away
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond - Downtown
700 E. Main St.
Five blocks away
Thank you to our summit sponsors: